Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Muslim students who heckled Israeli envoy Oren: We have no regrets


  • Published 11:16 26.09.11
  • Latest update 11:16 26.09.11



10 University of California students convicted of misdemeanor after last year's incident in which they interrupted Oren's speech, shouting 'killers'.

By The Associated Press
Eight of the Muslim students convicted of misdemeanors for disrupting a speech by Israeli ambassador Michael Oren at the University of California, Irvine last year thanked their supporters at a public meeting in an Anaheim mosque and expressed no regrets for their actions.
Student Mohamed Abdelgany told an audience Sunday at the Islamic Institute of Orange County that while they are upset about the verdict, the activism that brought the eight and two others a sentence of community service and probation is part of higher education, the Orange County Register said.
Abdelgany said their lives would be "hollow shells" if they didn't stand by their principles.
Student Taher Herzallah said her mother feared she would go to jail, and made her promise no protests for a year.
The students' lawyer Reem Salahi told the audience they would appeal.
The students were arrested on February 8, 2010 on their campus after shouting in protest at Oren's speech on U.S.-Israeli security. The students were charged with misdemeanor conspiracy to disturb a meeting and misdemeanor disturbance of a meeting.
The hecklers interrupted Oren's lecture over 10 times, shouting "killers" and "how many Palestinians did you kill?" Oren took a 20 minute break after the fourth protest, only to be interrupted again by young men yelling at him every few minutes, local press reported.
Many members of the audience also applauded Oren. Oren eventually completed his speech, some time later than scheduled, but did not take questions from the audience as planned.
The University of California at Irvine case has stoked an intense debate about freedom of speech. Muslim and civil rights advocates accuse prosecutors of discriminating against students exercising their right to dissent, just as many other college-goers do without punishment.
In June 2010, the University suspended the Muslim student group for one year and placed it on disciplinary probation for an additional year in response to the incident. According to the university's decision, the MSU membership was also required to collectively complete 50 hours of community service.
Eight of the students attended UC Irvine and three others arrested during the incident were from the nearby campus of the University of California, Riverside.
 
Ambassador Michael Oren
Ambassador Michael Oren.
Photo by: Natasha Mozgovaya

http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/muslim-students-who-heckled-israeli-envoy-oren-we-have-no-regrets-1.386785

Home of Israeli left-wing activist defaced in latest 'price tag' act


  • Published 13:27 12.09.11
  • Latest update 13:27 12.09.11


Right-wing activists thought responsible for graffiti proclaiming 'death to the traitors' and 'price tag Migron'; Peace Now urges government to take steps against 'new Jewish underground'.

By Oz Rosenberg
The home of a well-known left-wing activist in Jerusalem was defaced with graffiti proclaiming "death to the traitors" and "price tag Migron" on Sunday night, a move apparently carried out by rightists angry over the government's decision to demolish illegal structures in a West Bank settlement.
The activist whose home was vandalized, who requested not to be named, said she found the graffiti on Monday morning after informed by a neighbor.

The graffiti sprayed on the activist's door in Jerusalem, September 12, 2011
Price tag - Emil Salman - September 12, 2011



"We know there is someone who is making sure we are scared," she said. "I'm sure the police will handle this and I'm sure it will find those responsible."
The activist said that although this is the first time graffiti is sprayed on her home, she has received multiple emails and phone calls with the same messages, as have some of her colleagues.
The Peace Now movement responded by saying: "This is a serious incident that requires emergency steps against what seems like a new Jewish underground. The atmosphere of hate… is seeping from elements in the Knesset deep into Israeli society."
MK Eitan Cabel (Labor) decried the incident, which he said reflected a dangerous pattern. "These fanatics apparently feel there is someone who will protect them and their criminal acts, and it's not God."
On Sunday, two right-wing activists attacked four Arab employees of the Jerusalem municipality using tear gas. Police has yet to arrest any suspects. On Sunday evening, right-wing activists held a demonstration in from of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's home in Jerusalem to protest the demolition of three houses in the settlement of Migron earlier this month.
Last Wednesday, Israeli settlers in the West Bank vandalized an Israel Defense Forces base, carrying out a "price tag" operation against the army for the first time since adopting the policy in recent years.
Unknown perpetrators infiltrated a base in the Binyamin region and snuck their way to a mechanics workshop on site, where they slashed the tires and cut the cables of 12 army vehicles. 


http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/home-of-israeli-left-wing-activist-defaced-in-latest-price-tag-act-1.383966

West Bank settlers and Palestinians clash as tensions ramp up


Israeli settlers and Palestinian villagers threw stones at each other Tuesday, a day after Palestinian officials said settlers cut down several hundred olive, fig and almond trees.

By Chaim Levinson
Israeli settlers and Palestinian villagers threw stones at each other yesterday, a day after Palestinian officials said settlers burned dozens of acres of agricultural land and cut down several hundred olive, fig and almond trees.
The major clash yesterday came as residents of Yitzhar in the northern West Bank gathered on a hilltop overlooking several Palestinian communities, including nearby Assira al-Kibliya, and shouted slogans. Palestinian villagers arrived, and the two sides started throwing stones, he said. The Israeli military arrived and the settlers withdrew.
itamar - Daniel Bar-On - September 21 2011
West Bank settlers.
Photo by: Daniel Bar-On

Settlers said Palestinians started marching on Yitzhar, while the army said the settlers went down the hill toward the village and started throwing rocks. The IDF arrived in force at one point, the settlers fled and troops used tear gas to disperse the Palestinians. The IDF confirmed there had been a clash.
Settlers had planned protest marches in three West Bank locations yesterday. Some 30 people came out in Beit El and 200 in Itamar. The march from Itamar was supposed to end at a nearby base, but a few dozen young settlers continued farther.
On the Palestinian side, there have been few signs of enthusiasm for the statehood application. Students and civil servants are to be bused to rallies planned today in Ramallah, in an apparent attempt by authorities to ensure a high turnout.
Settlers are preparing for the Palestinian demonstrations today. Settlements near Ramallah have banned Palestinian workers from entering for the next three days. Settler leaders said there has been an large increase in stone throwing at cars on main roads by Palestinians, and said the IDF's presence is inadequate.
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/west-bank-settlers-and-palestinians-clash-as-tensions-ramp-up-1.385667

Court remands Israeli settler suspected of vandalizing IDF West Bank base


Police say there is evidence linking Alex Ostrovsky, 27, to an attack on an Israeli military base following the destruction of 3 illegal homes in the Migron outpost.


A Petah Tikva magistrates' court remanded a West Bank settler on Tuesday who is linked to a recent 'price tag' attack against an Israeli military base as a response for the destruction of 3 illegal homes in the Migron outpost.
Earlier this month, Israeli settlers in the West Bank vandalized an Israel Defense Forces base on Wednesday, carrying out a "price tag" operation against the army for the first time since adopting the policy in recent years.

Unknown perpetrators infiltrated a base in the Binyamin region and snuck their way in to a mechanics workshop on site, where they slashed the tires and cut the cables of 12 army vehicles.
Price tag - Tomer Appelbaum - September 2011
A settler 'price tag' attack on a Peace Now activist's home in Jerusalem.
Photo by: Tomer Appelbaum


The vandals sprayed the word "price tag" on the walls, as well as other graffiti referring to the three illegal homes demolished by the IDF in the outpost of Migron on Monday.
Alex Ostrovsky, a 27-year-old resident of the Eli settlement near the West Bank town of Ariel, was arrested on Monday following suspicions he was behind the "price tag" operation.
At the court hearing, Israel Police officials said Tuesday that a substantial body of evidence has been amassed against Ostrovsky, linking him to what is considered the first so-called "price tag" operation directed against the IDF. The court remanded Ostrovsky for five days.
The Eli resident is a veteran activist in the "Garin Ha'arim Ha'ivriot" (The Seed of Hebrew Cities), a group which advocates the return of Jewish settlers to West Bank towns such as Nablus and Jericho.
Ostrovsky is also known to authorities for his activities in various West Bank outposts, including Ramat Migron and Shvut Amim.
Speaking at the court hearing on Tuesday, Ostrovsky's attorney stated that his client denied any involvement to the attack on the IDF base.
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/court-remands-israeli-settler-suspected-of-vandalizing-idf-west-bank-base-1.385566

Shin Bet: Threat of settler violence against Israeli officials rising in West Bank


  • Published 00:50 03.10.11
  • Latest update 00:50 03.10.11



Officials say right-wing extremists no longer need 'trigger' to take action, while targets of violence widening; extremists also trying to intimidate senior law enforcement officials.

By Amos Harel
The delegitimization campaign that extreme right-wing activists are conducting against civil servants could end in serious violence, according to warnings passed on to the political echelon by the Shin Bet security service.
Shin Bet officials have identified a radicalization in the phenomena that first emerged ahead of the disengagement from Gaza in 2004, and see a connection between them and the increased attacks on mosques and Palestinian property - actions that their perpetrators are defining as "a price tag."
Price tag - Tomer Appelbaum - September 2011
A settler 'price tag' attack on a Peace Now activist's home in Jerusalem.
Photo by: Tomer Appelbaum


Shin Bet sources say members of the extreme right are making an effort to deter defense officials whose duties include coming into contact with such elements. The extremists are also trying to intimidate senior law enforcement officials, the Shin Bet sources add.
The two most prominent incidents in the past year have been the smear campaign conducted against Deputy Attorney General Shai Nitzan and the demonstrations held against the Israel Defense Forces' Judea and Samaria Division commander, Brig. Gen. Nitzan Alon.
The phenomena, however, stretch far further than these two matters, the Shin Bet says. Among other incidents, for example, the full names of officials from the Shin Bet's Jewish Division have been published on Internet websites, and their wives and children have been harassed at work and school. Civil Administration officials involved in keeping tabs on building violations have also been harassed.
According to the Shin Bet, the right-wing extremists no longer appear to need a "trigger" to take action, while the targets of the violence are also widening - military vehicles at an IDF base near Ramallah have been vandalized, and threatening graffiti has been sprayed onto the apartment door of a left-wing activist. Attacks on Arabs and their property are carried out when the opportunity arises, the Shin Bet officials add.
Defense establishment sources believe that some of the "price tag" attacks are being carried out by well-known right-wingers. Some two months ago, 12 right-wing extremists were ordered to stay out of the West Bank on the grounds that some of them had been involved in the torching of mosques. Restraining orders were issued because authorities have yet to collect enough evidence to press charges. None of the activists have sought to overturn the orders through the High Court of Justice.
Shin Bet officials believe that the acts of violence are being carried out by a few dozen individuals who are being supported by a circle of a few hundred right-wing activists. The vast majority of the settlers reject such actions, Shin Bet officials say.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/shin-bet-threat-of-settler-violence-against-israeli-officials-rising-in-west-bank-1.387765